Joel Beeke Book Recommendations
Updated: Mar 21, 2018
When I attended the 2017 Banner of Truth Ministers' Conference, it was a tremendous delight to have Dr. Joel Beeke recommend eleven books Banner of Truth publishes which have had a deep and lasting impact upon his life. As you watch the video, you will notice at times that the audio is muted. This is done so purposely as specially reduced prices which are meant to be private were revealed for first-tiime attendees only (of which I was one!).
The Banner Conference is a wonderful, edifying, God-glorifying conference. I highly recommend that any pastor or elder attend. The conference consisted of faithful expositors opening up the Word of God, great fellowship among brothers who serve as pastors and elders, great food, and GREAT BOOKS! What more could a pastor ask for in a conference?
The books that Dr. Beeke recommends are as follows:
1. The Suffering Saviour - F.W. Krummacher
2. Help Heavenward - Octavius Winslow
3. The Reformed Pastor - Richard Baxter
4. The Doctrine of Repentance - Thomas Watson
5. Spurgeon vs. Hyper-Calvinism - Iain Murray
6. Advice for Seekers - C.H. Spurgeon
7. The Puritans: Their Origins and Successors - Martyn Lloyd-Jones
8. Memoir and Remains of Robert Murray M'Cheyne - Andrew Bonar
9. The Christian Ministry - Charles Bridges
10. Autobiography (vols. 1 & 2) - C.H. Spurgeon
11. Seven Leaders: Preachers and Pastors - Iain Murray
Dr. Beeke also had many, many good things to say about all of J.C. Ryle's works that have recently been published (and re-published) by Banner of Truth, e.g., Expository Thoughts on the Gospels (7-vol. set), Old Paths, Holiness, Light from Old Times, Knots Untied, etc.